La Villa di Fontepetrini
further news (only in italian language):
STORIA DI UNA PROPRIETA' IN TOSCANA
DAL 1066 AL 2000
NELLA RICERCA DI FRANCO CALLIGARIS
(ILLUSTRAZIONI DI MAURIZIO CASONI)
PAOLO SACCHI EDITORE (Firenze) 2000
The history of this place is millennial. It was once owned by a noblewoman, Donna Kisla, of Frank birth, with many other properties of the area.
In her will Fontepetrini was donated to the St.Pier Maggiore Monastery in Florence, through a well known testament of 1073.
the testament of Donna Kisla
The testament was thereafter confirmed more than once by the Popes of Rome, so that the possession of the area remained for centuries in the hands of the Monastery.
In the XIVth century, we find Fontepetrini owned by the Villani’s, a noble florentine family. The first Villani owner of the property was quite the chronicler, author of the florentine history in the days of Dante Alighieri.
Surely due to this family are the works of adornment , of XVth century, which trasformed the old medieval and conventual construction to a residential villa (“Casa da Signore”)
At the end of the XVI th century, the villa became the property of the noble Pitti family , and about 100 years later, to the Geppi family.
During this period, the probable absence of greater works of restructuration might signify that the villa was no longer a permanent residence, but only a country house for temporary occupation.
In 1690 Girolamo Cantoni da Diacceto aquired the villa from Jacopo Geppi for the sum of 6000 ducati (comparable to 200 oxen, or to 430 cows).
The Cantoni da Diacceto enlarged the property with new lands and held it for a long period of time.
With the institution of the new land register law ("Catasto Granducale") wanted by the Gran Duke Lorena (1776), the property still remained under the same family.
From the 2nd half of the XIXth century several families alternated the ownnership of Fontepetrini, untill the present one, who since 1955 has invested generously on it, with fond custody, and a large amount of resources, in order to preserve or, better yet, to increase its fascination and charm.